Tuesday, September 1, 2015

8 Favorite Apps This Fall

Happy September!

Where did the summer go?  Is it really September 1st today??  Holy smokes.

As a busy mom and fitness instructor, I find myself relying on my phone for a lot of things: reminders, calendar, social interaction, GPS, music, etc.  It's safe to say that without my phone, I would be royally screwed.

I have the iPhone 5S, and it is loaded (and I do mean loaded) with apps.  I thought I would highlight for you the ones I find myself using the most.

1. The Calendar app.  This is one that comes on the iPhone and I use it literally every day.  I put every single appointment into my phone as soon as I make it, and I set one alert for the day before and the second alert for 2 hours before.  I use this in conjunction with the calendar on my refrigerator.  Between the two I manage to keep myself fairly organized.

2.  The Weather app.  This app comes in handy for me, especially since I live in Oregon.  It's another one that comes on the phone automatically.  Oregon is notorious for having weird weather, especially in the Spring and Fall.  It's not unusual to have rain, sun, fog, wind and sleet/snow/hail all in one day here, so knowing what the general temperature will be beforehand is very helpful.  The takeaway point here: be prepared and expect the unexpected!

3.  Facebook.  The Facebook app is sometimes kind of finicky.  Some people call it "crashbook" because the app will sometimes close for no reason, but I rarely experience this.  I use this many times per day, and it was a free app so... what's not to love about that?

4.  Instagram.  In my experience, Instagram has more glitches than Facebook on my phone, but that's not really saying much because I don't have much trouble with the Facebook app.  I like Instagram because it's easy but it does annoy me that the pictures have to be square.  Many times I've had to use one of my photography editing apps to make a picture the right shape or size to go on Instagram.  #firstworldproblems seriously!

5.  Skinny Mom.  "Where moms get the skinny on healthy living."  This free app offers an impressive drop-down menu, including a recipe index (which I use often!), a fitness section, a lifestyle section, a health section and more!  I use this app mainly for the recipes, although I've been known to look to it for guidance when I need to change up my workout routine.

6.  Bitmoji.  While not a fan of the Bitstrip comics, Bitmoji does amuse me.  My good friend and I send Bitmojis back and forth on a daily basis.  Featuring your look-alike cartoon character (that really looks nothing like you at all, given the crazy big eyes and Popeye-esque forearms), there is a Bitmoji for every conversation!  Some of them are pretty funny.

7.  Jumbline 2.  I'm a HUUUUGE fan of word jumbles.  Whenever I get the newspaper I always do the jumble first.  Jumbline 2 appears to have unlimited levels (since I'm at level 500-something and still going) and you can choose from 5, 6 or 7 letter words.  Definitely an app for a scrabble lover!  And it's free. :)

8.  MapMyRun.  Since my 9-month-old doesn't always allow me time to go to the gym, and a nap is never a given so I can't be sure I'll have time to hit my home-gym either, I've taken to running around my neighborhood with her in a jogging stroller.  After the first time I went, though, I wondered how far I had gone.  So I searched "free running apps" and this is the one I ended up with!  Maps your course, keeps time, distance and split pace.  It's great!  Also allows you to share it to twitter and Facebook.

So those are my 8 favorite apps right now.  I use them pretty much every day (if not actually every day).  Check them out!  If they don't appeal to you, something else will.  Remember, whatever you need, there's probably an app for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment